Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Council Tax

Council Tax Benefit will no longer exist from 1 April 2013, instead you can apply for Council Tax Reduction.

You’ll get money off your Council Tax bill if you qualify for Council Tax Reduction.

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you’ll get:

The most you can get is a 100% reduction.  How much you get depends on:

* Where you live - each council runs their own scheme

* Your circumstances (eg income, number of children)

* Your household income - this includes things like savings, pension, your partner’s income

* If your children live with you

* If other adults live with you



You may get Council Tax Reduction if: * You pay Council Tax * You’re on a low income or claiming benefits

How to apply:

Contact your local council to apply for Council Tax Reduction.


Checked: 28/10/2016

Back to top