Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)


Who can claim?

You can claim Employment Support Allowance if:

  • you have a long term illness or disability affects your ability to work.
  • you’re employed, self-employed, unemployed or a student on Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
  • you are 16 or over and one of the above applies

You can read more about PIP using the external link on the right of this page.

If your young person claims ESA, you will no longer be able to receive Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits for them.

The Contact a Family Helpline can help you to work out whether your household will be better off (0800 808 3555).

Students aged 16 – 19 receiving DLA and ESA can claim a 16-19 Bursary from their college or school.


Back to top