Family Information and Services Hub

Worried about SEN or disability issues

If you have a child who has a special educational need or disability (SEND) and you have questions or are concerned about how they are being supported in their early years education setting who can you talk to?

It is hoped that in the main the staff who are working directly with your child, including the ‘Keyperson’ would be able to help resolve most, if not all issues; though they may need to take advice from other colleagues depending on the situation.


Your child’s keyperson

Every child is allocated a keyperson who takes responsibility for getting to know you and your child.

They should be your first port of call if you have any questions or concerns about how well your child’s needs are being met.

There are many ways this could be done including; parents evenings, home-school books, parent helper role or informal chats at pick-up and drop-off time. But if you feel you need a meeting to talk through your concerns in more depth your keyperson will be happy to arrange that.

The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo)

Every nursery, pre-school or childminding service has a named and trained SENCo who is responsible for ensuring the needs of every child with SEND are catered for.

Your SENCo will be able to support you and your child’s keyperson with any planning and reviewing of your child’s educational targets or the implementation of suggested strategies.

If you have spoken to your allocated keyperson but would like some additional support or advice or feel that your questions or concerns have not been sufficiently addressed, please do speak to the SENCo. The SENCo will ensure that all staff working with your child are aware of your concerns and your child’s needs and will regularly update the room leader or supervisor with ongoing plans and the outcome of any targets set.

The room leader or supervisor

The room leader or supervisor has the day to day responsibility for ensuring that all their staff are providing quality inclusive practice.

If you have spoken to the SENCo but feel that your questions or concerns have not been sufficiently addressed, please do speak to the room leader, supervisor or manager.

The manager or owner

The manager or owner has the overall responsibility for ensuring the pre- school, nursery or childminding service is fully inclusive and endeavours to meet the needs of all of the children in their care.

Speak to the manager or the owner if you still have questions or concerns regarding your child’s needs being met. If the service is a community led provision you may want to speak to the chair of the committee.

The Area Inclusion Service

SENCos receive regular support and guidance from Hampshire’s Services for Young Children (SfYC) Area Inclusion Service’s Coordinators (Area InCo). They offer support for meeting the individual needs of children with SEND as well as local termly support groups and training opportunities.

Please do contact the Area Inclusion Service if you feel your questions or concerns are not being fully met by your pre-school, nursery or childminding service.



Remove from shortlist

Page last reviewed: 12/06/2023

Go back to top