Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Domestic Abuse Support - COVID-19

The current crisis will be different for every family in Hampshire and for some, this has contributed to rising tensions and an increase in incidents of domestic abuse.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse at home or are struggling to manage your emotions or behaviour, help and support is available. If you need a safe place to stay, refuges are open. Get in touch with the Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service by phone, email or on Facebook Messenger.

In an emergency dial 999 - Remeber the Silent Solution

If you are unable to speak, listen to the questions from the operator and respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can. Then follow the instructions depending on whether you are calling from a mobile or a landline.  If you call from a mobile, if prompted, press 55 to Make Yourself Heard  - this will transfer your call to the police.

If you are a family member or neighbour concerned about someone you know experiencing domestic abuse, it is also important to get in touch.

Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line 03300 165 112 Weekdays 9.30am-5.30pm (5pm Fridays)

Virtual Drop-in Service - for victims of domestic abuse who cannot access a telephone, due to isolating with someone who is hurting them, please contact a worker via messenger 9.30am – 11.30am, 3pm - 5pm, 6pm - 8pm Monday – Friday. Facebook:

Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Website

Young people living with domestic abuse

Is someone in your family hurting someone else? If abuse is happening at home, you probably want it to stop but you might not be sure what you can do. The best thing to do is to tell someone what is going on. You might be able to talk to the person who is being hurt. If not, you could try talking to a teacher, a neighbour, a friend or a friend’s parent, etc.

You can also call a helpline – they will be able to tell you where you can get help near where you live.

Remember, domestic abuse is not your fault. You won’t get into trouble for telling someone.

Help is available from:

  • Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line 03300 165 112 weekdays 9.30am-5.30pm (5pm Fridays)
  • Childline Telephone: 0800 1111 Childline is available for children and young people to reach out for help and support by phone or using their online chat service. They also provide specific guidance for young people on how to get help and what to do if they are worried about a friend.
  • NSPCC Telephone: 0808 800 5000 Email:

The NSPCC has issued guidance for spotting and reporting the signs of abuse on their website.

The NSPCC Helpline is available for anyone with concerns about a child to contact for professional advice and support.

  • Barnardo’s Barnardo’s provides support to families affected by domestic abuse.
  • Family Lives Family Lives also provide support through online forums.

Information for disabled women

Disabled women are twice as likely to experience domestic violence than those without disabilities. They are also likely to experience abuse over a longer period of time and to suffer more severe injuries as a result of the violence.  If you are disabled, your abuser may also be your carer, or your personal assistant and you may be reliant on him/her for personal care or mobility.

There is help and support available for anyone experiencing domestic abuse. The Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service is able to support people with disabilities and have outreach services or independent advocacy services which can help you. If you need safe accommodation some refuges now have full wheelchair access, and workers who can assist you and your children who have special needs such as physical, sensory (hearing or visual) and learning impairments.

Help is available from:

  • Stay Safe East Stay Safe East provides specialist and holistic advocacy and support services to disabled victims and survivors of abuse.
  • SignHealth SignHealth provides domestic abuse service support for deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL).

WhatsApp or Facetime: 07970 350366

Telephone: 020 3947 2601


  • 999 calls for people who are deaf If you are deaf or can’t verbally communicate, you can register with the emergencySMS service. Text REGISTER to 999. You will get a text which tells you what to do next. Do this when it is safe so you can text when you are in danger.

For more information:

Information if your family is fearful of your behaviour

The current crisis will be different for every family in Hampshire and for some, this has contributed to an increase in incidents of domestic abuse.

If you are struggling to manage your emotions or behaviour, help and support is available. Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service helps adults and young people who are experiencing all forms of domestic abuse to recognise it and seek help. As part of this service, the Hampton Trust supports those who think they may be hurting or abusing someone to help them to understand and change their behaviour. It takes strength and courage to take this step. If you need help for yourself or a friend, you can call the confidential advice line on 03300 165 112.

Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line 03300 165 112, weekdays 9.30am-5.30pm (5pm Fridays)

Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Website

Hampton Trust COVID support line: 02380 009898

Using drugs or alcohol is never an excuse for violence or abuse

“Alcohol, drugs and stress make me violent”.  Ever heard yourself say that?

Substance use, stress, anger and trauma do not explain or excuse violence – they do not cause you to be abusive or to hurt someone you love.  Most people who drink never use violence or abuse. There is #noexcuseforabuse.

Domestic abuse includes a range of abuse (not just physical) which is an attempt to control and manipulate a partner or ex-partner.  It is unacceptable but help and support is available.  Our services are open and they want to hear from you.

Help is available from:

Advice Line (provided by Stop Domestic Abuse) 03300 165 112 weekdays 9.30am-8pm

COVID helpline for perpetrator support and interventions (provided by the Hampton Trust) 02380 009898,

  • One You offers free information and advice on easy ways to gradually drink less
  • Drink Coach offer a free, quick and confidential test to find out how risky your drinking is. 
  • A local confidential alcohol helpline is available in Hampshire for people who want further support: 0300 303 3539
  • If you need help with an alcohol or drug problem you can contact Hampshire treatment services for adults or young people. Support is also available to those affected by someone else’s use of drugs or alcohol.

Economic Abuse - Help is Available

Domestic abuse takes many forms. Economic abuse often happens alongside other types of abuse and is commonly part of a pattern of behaviour where abusers seek to control their victims by means of their finances. They may repeatedly control your everyday actions and take away your choices, becoming violent and abusive (or threatening) if you refuse to meet their demands. With economic abuse, an abuser may restrict how you acquire, spend and manage money and economic resources, such as accommodation, food, clothing and transport (Surviving Economic Abuse, 2020).  They might take your wages, stop you working, or put you in debt.

Social distancing and isolation measures which are in place to control the spread of coronavirus may reinforce the power that an abuser has over you.  If you are concerned about how coronavirus may affect your finances or are experiencing economic abuse, help is available from:

Advice Line (provided by Stop Domestic Abuse) 03300 165 112 weekdays 9.30am-8pm

Domestic Abuse help is out there for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender + (LGBT+) communities

Domestic abuse by family, partners, and ex-partners happens in all communities, including to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender +.  Your abuser may also use your sexuality and gender identity against you as a tactic to keep the power and control in your relationship.  This is not ok.

You are entitled to help as much as any other person.  Help is available, services are open and inclusive, and they want to hear from you.  You will be believed.

Help is available from:

Advice Line (provided by Stop Domestic Abuse) 03300 165 112 weekdays 9.30am-8pm

  • Galop - for members of the LGBT+ community

Galop is the LGBT+ specialist anti-violence charity that works on issues of hate crime, sexual violence, and domestic abuse. Galop runs the National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline: 

Telephone: 0800 999 5428


  • Hampshire Police Lesbian and Gay Liaison Officers (LAGLOs)

Officers dedicated to supporting members of the LGBT+ community. Trained to respond to LGBT+ domestic abuse and undertake specific risk assessment.

  • YOU Trust refuge, Dorset

Offers a service to support people from LGBT+ and BAME communities, male victims and women will older boys who would not be able to access most refuge spaces.  

Telephone: 0800 032 5204


For more information:

Housing and Refuge

Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service - 03300 165 112

Do you have a safe space?

If you aren't safe in your home because of violence, abuse or threatening behaviour, you can get help with a safe place to stay or support to stay in your home safely. We understand that due to self-isolation staying with family and friends might not be an option.

Help making your house safer

In many situations, we can support you to remain in your own home by supplying and fitting a variety of security measures.  Specialist support workers are also available to help ensure you can remain safely at home rather than having to move.  Call the  Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line who will signpost you to the right service for your area.

Find a place in a refuge

You might be able to get safe housing and support in a refuge.

  • Refuge services could still be an option for you. You can find out about available refuge places by calling the Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line  on 03300 165 112, asking another support service or the police to help you.
  • Refuge services are still open and accepting referrals. There is guidance for refuges on how to provide support during the Covid-19 pandemic including for survivors and children who may need to self-isolate with them.
  • You may be able to get free rail travel to take up a place in a refuge. Ask the Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service about this.
  • There are some refuge options available to male victims of abuse.  You can call the Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service, the You Trust or the Men’s Advice Line for help finding refuge or similar accommodation.
  • Pets: many refuges are unable to accommodate pets. But there are specialist pet fostering services that can provide a solution. For more information please contact the Dogs Trust Freedom Project or Paws Protect.

 Ask the council for help

You can ask any council for homelessness help if you're at risk in your home or can't stay there because of domestic abuse.  The council must help with emergency housing if you're classed as priority need.

You have an automatic priority need if:

  • you have children with you
  • you're pregnant
  • you're a care leaver under 21

Even if none of these apply, the council must help with emergency housing if they think you're vulnerable. For example, because of the abuse or due to physical or mental health problems.

Your local authority housing department still has a responsibility to give you information about your housing options. You will need to contact the department by phone or email.

Help is available from:

  • YOU Trust, Dorset Offers a service to support male victims and families with older boys who would not be able to access most refuge spaces, and people from LGBTQ+ and BAME communities. 

    Telephone: 0800 032 5204

  • Men’s Advice Line The Men’s Advice Line is a confidential helpline for male victims of domestic abuse and those supporting them.

    Telephone: 0808 801 0327
  • Shelter provide free confidential housing information, support and legal advice on all housing and homelessness issues.

    They also have an emergency helpline: 0808 800 4444

  • Turn2us

    If you are concerned about your financial situation, you can contact Turn2us. They help people to access the money available to them through welfare benefits and grants. Their website has an income-related benefits checker enabling you to check that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to.

Effect on Children

Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service - 03300 165 112

Is your behaviour affecting your children?

Even if your children haven’t seen you be abusive, they’ve almost certainly overheard things. Children are highly intuitive and can pick up on tension around them.  It’s terrifying to hear a parent being abused. To know that someone they love is being harmed, and not knowing how it will end. To be powerless to stop it.  Studies have shown that children suffer long-term harm if they live with violence and abuse, even if the abuse isn’t directed at them.

Physical effects

Your children might be physically hurt in the ‘cross-fire’, suffer sleep deprivation and be unable to concentrate at school. They may wet the bed, develop eating disorders, or endure panic attacks, stress and tension.

Emotional effects

Your child will probably feel fear, anger and anxiety, be jumpy or unable to relax. They might struggle to trust you, or others, and develop low self-esteem and psychological problems.

Behavioural effects

Children learn from those around them. Your child could start to model themselves on your violent and abusive behaviour, and bully other children or expect and accept abuse. They might struggle with school work or skip school, steal or break the law, or turn to alcohol and drugs.

What Next?

It’s easy to minimise your actions. Maybe you think what you’ve done ‘isn’t that bad’. Maybe you’re making excuses.

Or maybe you’re finding the strength, now, to face up to what you’ve done and the effect it’s having on people you care about. Maybe you’re feeling guilty or ashamed of how you’ve behaved.

It can hurt to admit that what you’ve done is not okay. But by doing so and choosing to change, you’re taking responsibility for your actions, and are on the road to change.

Help is available from:

Back to top