Family Information and Services Hub

Benefits post 16


Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Due to changes in the benefit system once your child reaches 16 they may not be able to renew their claim for DLA.  Instead they will need to claim the new benefit Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

The government has produced a “PIP checker” tool so you can see if and when PIP will affect you. You can use this by selecting the external link on the right side of this page.

Becoming an Appointee

When a young person turns 16, they are expected to take on responsibility for any benefits they claim in their own right. But if they’re unable to manage their own affairs, you can become their ‘appointee’ for benefit claims. To become an ‘appointee’ contact Job Centre Plus who will arrange a home visit. This is usually a straightforward process and should not delay any claims that you are making.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

If your child is over 16 and has an illness or disability which affects their ability to work, they may be able to apply for Employment and Support Allowance.

Further details are available from Contact A Family's excellent guide (which can be found on the download link on this page) to download for free or request from their helpline on 0808 808 3555.


Save to shortlist

Page last reviewed: 23/03/2023

Go back to top