We all want our children to be able to communicate. Makaton is a system that is used with some children who struggle in this area.
Makaton is a language programme using signs and symbols to help people to communicate. It is designed to support spoken language and the signs and symbols are used with speech, in spoken word order.
With Makaton, children and adults can communicate straight away using signs and symbols. Many people then drop the signs or symbols naturally at their own pace, as they develop speech.
Makaton can be personalised to an individual's needs and used at a level suitable for them. It can be used to:
- share thoughts, choices and emotions
- label real objects, pictures, photos and places
- take part in games and songs
- listen to, read and tell stories
- create recipes, menus and shopping lists
- write letters and messages
- help people find their way around public buildings