What is physical activity and sport?
Physical activity means sport, exercise and fitness. For example, walking, running, cycling and swimming.
Sport is a type of physical activity.
Why is being active important?
Physical activity and sport is good for your health and fitness.
It is good for you because:
- Being active can help you to lose weight.
- It lowers the chance of you getting health problems like diabetes and heart disease and helps you live longer.
- It can improve your confidence and help you make new friends.
- You can learn new skills
- It can help you improve your sleep and memory
- It can make you healthier and feel good
Playing sport does not mean you have to take part in competitions against other people. You can play a sport for fun at your local sports club or community centre. A community centre is a place where people get together and take part in activities.
Physical activity and sport is for everyone and anyone can take part.
You should make sure you speak to your doctor before starting any exercise so they can give you some advice. You can also speak to your doctor if you are worried about your health