Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Your Education

While it may not seem so important now, getting a good education at school will help you in the future to have a good career, go university or start your own business.

Do you hear that all the time? Well – that's because it's true!


Going to School

Why is school important?

School is important for lots of different reasons, it's not just a place to learn, here are a few reasons why school is important;
• School can allow you to enhance your self-esteem and gives you a wider sense of choice
• The friends you meet now at school may be the friends you go through life with
• You will develop new skills and improve the ones you already have
• You will have wider access to lots of different options after school, if you stick with and get the right grades
• You will be more likely to achieve in your chosen career if you succeed at school

What is a designated teacher?
Every school has a designated teacher whose job it is to support you and help you sort out any problems. They make sure that the school does everything it can to support you by working with your social worker and the Head of the Virtual School. They are also responsible for personal education plans (PEP) - an important document which outlines your educational history and progress.

What is a Personal Education Plan (PEP)?
Your personal education plan (PEP) is where you set out a plan of actions and targets you would like to achieve.
• it will be reviewed twice a year
• if you finding things difficult, let your designated teacher know
• you wont be singled out if you need extra help

 What support will I receive?

Make sure you know who your designated teacher is and speak to them about any problems or worries. You can also speak to other teachers at your school, like your form tutor or head of year. 

We will not take you out of class for a meeting, and will pay for you to go on school trips and attend activities. 

If my placement changes, will I have to change school?

Everything possible will be done to ensure that any changes in your placement won't affect your school life.

If your in year 10 and year 11, it is even more important that your education is not disrupted because you will be studying for your GCSEs, and we as they local authority will have to prove that we did everything possible to keep you in the same school.

Will people at school know I'm in care?

It's completely your decision whether or not you tell friends at school or outside school whether or not you're in care, here are a few points to remember: 

  • Remember you friends are your friends for a reason, they are not going to stop liking you just because you're in care, and if they do, they weren't really your friends in the first place
  • Everyone is different and this is what makes life interesting 
  • You will probably find that talking about being in care makes it less of a big deal. People often tend to make assumptions about things because they don't understand them

What is The Virtual School?

The Virtual School is the team that makes sure that you are receiving the best possible education, achieving well and are getting the most out of your experience.

What is a virtual head teacher?

The Virtual Head will have specialist knowledge that will be able to help support you Designated Teacher at your school. They will also work with other staff in Children's Services and schools to promote improving education for looked after children.

Your GCSE's

Retaking your GCSEs

It's government legislation that you have to have a least a C in both Maths and English, with some colleges requiring you to have at least 5 A*-C grades to get in.
If you didn't quite get the results you wanted then don't panic there are lots of options when it comes to retaking.

What are my options?

Retaking in further education:
If you are going to school, sixth-form or college then you should be able to retake your GCSE(s) alongside the courses you have chosen. Speak to your teacher or college advisor about the possibility of retaking at school, college or sixth-form and they should be able to advise you on what to do.
Retaking your gcses whilst working:
(Working may include; starting an apprenticeship, work experience or a full or part-time job)

There are lots of options if you need to retake:
• Night school - schools or colleges may hold evening classes where you can retake your GCSE(s) this can be a flexible option that will fit round work
• Distance learning - this option may suit you if you are working full time as you can study for your GCSE(s) online with the help of course materials being posted to you, you will need to register with an approved college so you can take your GCSE(s) onsite with them
• Day release - if your employer agrees then you will be required to spend a working day in your local college or learning provider working towards retaking your GCSE(s)

What happens if I'm not going to college or starting work?
• Approach your local sixth-form, previous school or college and ask if you can re-sit (speak to a teacher or college advisor first to make sure this is possible)
• Speak to the Exams Officer at your local school or college and ask about the possibility of being a private candidate

Being a private Candidate:
• You will need to make sure that you will be accepted as a private candidate at your local school, college or learning provider
• You will have to pay a fee of £30 along with the admin fee charged by the place you are re-sitting
• Make sure you register for the retake before 21 February to be eligible
• Look into what type of teaching is available, otherwise you may need a 1-1 tutor who can coach you
• If you know other young people in the same position, retaking the same GCSE, speak to them about sharing a tutor  cost

Going to College

Going to College

If you are thinking about going to college, we make sure you are fully supported in accessing the courses you want to do. Have a think about what subjects you find interesting and enjoyable and how they might affect your choices if you are thinking about going to uni or work after college.
If you don't think full time college would suit you there are quite a few different options that incorporate work based learning and practical vocational learning.
Colleges hold open days which are a great opportunity to have a look around, find out more about the courses and find out what it's like to study there. You can also search their websites and prospectus to find out more. See the map of colleges and sixth forms in Hampshire.

Useful Links

Open Days:

Map of colleges and sixth forms in Hampshire:


See below for the qualifications you can study for at college.

Are the first part of studying towards your A-Levels, although they can be taken as a stand alone qualifications, most students are encouraged to take four AS-Levels but there is an option to drop one when you move to your A-Levels.


Are a continuation of your AS-Levels with the addition of course work and exams that will bring you up to A-Level standard.


NVQs (National Vocational Qualifications):
Is a work based qualification designed to measure how well you work in a professional role, you will most likely have an assessor that will come into your workplace and will help you with the assignments and assess you, they will aim to see you at least once every four weeks, a typical NVQ can last over a year.

NVQs (National Vocational Qualifications:

BTEC Qualifications:
Is a vocational course or work related course, it's a practical approach to learning that ensures that you don't miss out on any of the theory of the subject, it will also allow you to progress further if you want to access higher education.

BTEC Qualifications:

HNC/HNDs (Higher National Certificate & Higher National Diplomas):
Are work-related, or vocational, higher educational qualifications that are highly valued by employers and can lead to membership of professional bodies.

HNC/HNDs (Higher National Certificate & Higher National Diplomas):

Being an apprentice mixes practical training with a job. You will develop transferable skills, such as working in teams, problem-solving and communication, as well as earning a wage. You will also be working towards a recognised Apprenticeship Programme.



It's Never too late...

You may not have made it to college for various reasons, but now you feel ready to explore the opportunities that college can give you and there are loads of opportunities out there. You don't have to do a full-time course, you could be wanting to re-sit your GCSEs or learn a new skill in the evening; colleges have a lot to offer. Your key worker or PA will be more than happy to support you in accessing a course so if you need some help they should be your first point of call.

Going to University

Going to University

If you would like to go to university, we will support you in looking at your choices of both university and course. Have a think about what subjects you find interesting and enjoyable, and the job you might like to do in the future. 

Here are some top tips about choosing courses and universities: 

  • take plenty of time to see what courses are on offer - you can look at university prospectuses online, or request them via phone or email
  • discuss options with your teachers, college tutors, social worker, family and friends 
  • go to careers fairs for ideas 
  • attend university open days to get a feel for different places 
  • find out about the areas universities are located in

What is UCAS?

UCAS is the central processing organisation that helps you apply for the course you want. You will apply for up to five different choices through UCAS and these will remain confidential, you should apply by the middle of January of the same year you would be starting university.

College will support you in accessing UCAS and applying for courses.

What happens if I don't get my chosen Universities?

Firstly don't panic, universities are well equipped to deal with this, if you don't get into any of your chosen universities you will go through Clearing.

What is clearing?

Clearing is a way of matching students that did not get offered a place at any of their chosen universities, to universities that have spaces on their courses, below are some top clearing tips:

  • Don't go on holiday when your results are due out(tempting as it sounds) you will need to be around, unless you are absolutely certain you have got the right grades
  • If you don't get a place at any of your chosen universities, get dialling. By phoning universities they can take down all your details and in some cases can you there and then whether or not they can accept you on to the course
  • Universities will have a high number of calls on results day but don't let that put you off, keep ringing you can also email them as well, although phoning will be the best way to get through 
  • Finally, and although this sounds obvious, try and avoid Clearing. Be realistic about you applications and what you will be predicted to get, apply to universities that you are confident you will be able to get into and accept offers 

National Network for the Education of Care Leavers is a new website for children in care and care leavers who are interested in finding out more about studying in higher education. The site lists exciting events including taster days, open days and summer schools taking place across universities in England. All events are free to attend and give you a chance to see what studying and living at university could be like, to start your search please go to 

Clearing - New Service:

A new service has been set up for Clearing, which may make it easier to find suitable universities that have places on courses.

UCAS will contact you to ask if you would like to use this service. Once you have signed up and if things to don't go to plan you will be contacted by universities from results day to the beginning of September. Universities will contact you if they have places on courses that are relevant to you. 

Have a look at the links provided for more information on Clearing.

Adjustment - if you've done better than expected:

Adjustment is another voluntary service provided by UCAS. This service will help match you to universities if your results are better than predicted. 

Here are some key details about Adjustment: 

  • You can use Adjustment to find another - perhaps better course, if that university has spaces
  • If you use UCAS Adjustment and accept an offer through the service, your original firm offer will be automatically rejected 
  • If your considering Adjustment make sure that have thought about all the options and possibly speak to a careers advisor so you know all the facts 

 Have a look at the links provided for more information on UCAS Adjustment.

University Accommodation:

Many universities will offer accommodation on campus, in city centre locations or close to the campus, depending on where your university is. University accommodation can come in many different forms, below is a snapshot of the typical type of accommodation you may encounter:

University Halls:

Hall can be large buildings that can accommodate up to 800 or more students or smaller units that are together to form student 'villages' these can be located on campus or off. 

  • There will be options of en-suite and shared bathrooms, obviously an en-suite would be more desirable but it can push your rent by £30-£40 or more 
  • The majority of halls will be self-catering, so brush up on your cooking skills 
  • Accommodation will be either single or mixed sex (you all get separate rooms) 
  • You will only live in Halls for the first year
  • You will most likely live in your accommodation for 40 weeks of the year, vacating in the summer 

Private Accommodation:

In your 2nd  and 3rd  year you may move to private accommodation. This will be provided by landlords who may be a national company or a smaller local agent. You can also live in Private Accommodation in your 1st year if you don't want to live in Halls.

  • If you don't fancy living in halls in your first year then private accommodation in a shared house also gives you that 'Hall's' experience but on a smaller scale 
  • Student houses can be one person apartments to 10 bed houses depending on the town/city you choose to go to university in
  • Have a look at transport links to university in the area you have chosen to live 

Have a look at the links provided for more information on private rented accommodation.

What financial support can I get?

If you decide to go to university, and are a former relevant care leaver, you will be entitled to a Higher Education Bursary from Children's Services which is £2000 paid over the life of the course (usually 3 years).

All care leavers going into higher education should talk to their personal adviser about other financial support Children's Services may be able to provide. In Hampshire we have a simple financial assessment that looks at the income you are receiving through student loans, grants and any bursary from the university itself and we then look at what your rent and living costs are. If there is a shortfall Children's Services will pay you a weekly top up.

If you work part-time alongside your university course don't worry as we will not take this into account when doing your financial assessment.

For those young people wanting to return to former carers during the holidays Children's Services will fund this so you don't have to. 

Setting up home allowance:

  • Children's Services will support you with providing the essentials for setting up home
  • You can access money from the age of 16 to the time your involvement with Children's Services ends (between 21 and 25) 
  • Funding is based on your needs and can be up to a maximum of £2000, however this is not paid as a cash lump sum 
  • You can access the money as you go, for example if you need £500 to set you up for university, then the rest will be held until you need to access it again

Other support:

Some universities offer some sort of mentor service to students who are having problems. If you feel like you need extra support, contact your university's student services department.

Learning support is offered by almost all universities and provides help such as extra tutorials and special arrangements for exams. For more information contact your university. 


If your going to university in September you may want to consider having the Men (meningitis) ACWY vaccination, which will protect you against the four groups of meningococcal bacteria A, C, W, and Y.

The vaccination is particularly important for those preparing to head off to university as they are at greatest risk of infection, this is due to the high amount of people in close contact in shared accommodation, such as halls of residence. 

Teenagers are more likely to carry meningococcal bacteria in the back of their throats. Giving the vaccine to new university students will directly protect this age group and reduce the chance of the bacteria spreading to others.

For more information have a look at the Going to the Doctors section on the Your Health page.

Going to Work

Going to Work

Getting a job can be a step in the right direction when it comes to having your own independence. 

You can get a job doing 'light work' such as a paper round from the age of 13, and although you have to stay in education when you leave school; you can still go into employment, but will be required to attend college or do work based learning during the month. More information can be found on the Going to College page. 

If your over 18 and are considering your first job, or an employment change take a look at our Writing a CV and Covering Letter and Job Hunting and Interviews page's for tips and ideas.

Work Experience:

Some schools may still offer work experience opportunities in year 10 and 11 although some may not. However, you can find your own work experience that you could do during the school holidays. The benefits are: 

  • You can try out an area of work that interests you 
  • You will learn new skills and meet new people 
  • It helps you to decide if it's the right job for you
  • It might lead you to a part-time or full-time job later 
  • You can gain a valuable reference from an employer 

Find out about work experience opportunities at Hampshire County Council

How to find out about work experience placements:

  • Decide what you would like to do 
  • Ask the people you know - your family, friends & neighbours 
  • Search local newspapers for jobs that interest you and local companies 
  • Use websites to research local businesses, such as online directories 
  • Write a CV and a letter that you can post or give to an employer - this shows you are serious about doing a placement 
  • Remember - if you are going to see an employer face-to-face, dress appropriately and think about what you are going to say so they get a good impression of you



Thinking about doing an apprenticeship?

Vacancies will advertised in lots of different places, you might find out about them through college or school, they may be advertised locally or you can search for them online. 

You can apply for an apprenticeship if you are: 

  • aged 16 or over 
  • eligible to work in England
  • not in full-time education 

Work and Study

  • you will be working alongside experienced staff 
  • you will gain a lot of job specific knowledge and skills 
  • you will earn a wage 
  • you will be studying towards a related qualification and will spend 20% off the job doing training

Levels of apprenticeships

There are three different levels of apprenticeships in England: 

  • intermediate - equivalent to five GCSEs 
  • advanced - equivalent to two A-Levels
  • higher - from level 4 to Master Degree level


Your apprenticeships can lead to: 

  • a qualification from Level 2-7 
  • a Functional Skills qualification in Maths, ICT or English for example 
  • a City & Guilds Progression award or BTEC 
  • a HNC, HND or Foundation Degree 

What will I get Paid?

Currently if you are between 16 and 18, the national minimum wage for an apprentice is; £3.370. You will also get paid £3.70 an hour if you are aged 19 and in your first year of your apprenticeship. If you are over the age of 19 and have completed your first year then you will be entitled to minimum wage.

Traineeship Plus:

If you're 16-24 years, with a minimum grade D/3 GCSE equivalent in maths or English this is a great opportunity develop your work place skills and provide that extra bit of experience to boost your CV and help you grab your first job. If you are thinking of applying for an Apprenticeship our programme will provide support to reach that goal.

Traineeship plus offers you:

  • an action-packed induction programme preparing you for the world of work
  • dedicated members of staff to support you through the process
  • valuable work experience with Hampshire County Council or a partner organisation
  • an opportunity to work towards qualifications
  • improve your English and maths through engaging and interesting activities 
  • the chance to develop skills and experience that will make you more attractive to future employers 
  • support plan your next steps following completion of the programme 

To find out more email 

Apprenticeships at Hampshire County Council:

Hampshire County Council is recruiting apprenticeships to work in teams across the County Council in roles such as mechanics, rangers, teaching assistants, museums, customer service's, business administration and in our laboratories. Hampshire Futures offers a direct delivery training programme in some of these areas.

Successful applicants must be able to demonstrate a keen interest in the work of the County Council, be willing to learn and committed to undertaking a full apprenticeship programme.

The programme supports young people working towards a professional and rewarding career, delivers hands-on training and supported learning to help young people develop skills for the job, as well as the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised qualification alongside English and Maths support if required. 

Successful completion of the programme could result in being offered a permanent position within the County Council and opportunities for future professional development. 

The apprenticeships last for a minimum of 12 months and the starting salary is competitive. All vacancies are advertised on the National Apprenticeship Website and on the Hampshire County Council's Recruitment Website.

Staying in Education until you're 18

Staying In Education Until You're 18

The future of our society depends on you and your peers, so in order for you to start your adult life with all the skills, qualities and attributes you will need to succeed, you will now continue your education or training until the academic year in which you turn 18.

This is known as raising the participation age, the Government's policy to give all young people the opportunity to develop skills and qualifications, secure employment or progress to higher education. This may sound alarming but it's there to give you the best chance at achieving your goals and going on to be successful at whatever you choose to do in your adult life.

When you finish secondary school, there are many choices including: 

  • Full-time education at college, sixth form college or school sixth form 
  • Work based learning such as an apprenticeship or foundation learning 
  • Part-time education or training if you are employed, self employed or volunteer for 20 hours or more a week

Take time to research which option is best for you. Here are some tips: 

  • What learning style suits you best? Do you like being in a classroom? Do you prefer practical subjects? Do you prefer exams or course work, or a mixture of both?
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses? Which subjects do you enjoy?
  • What would you like to do in the future? Think about where the course, work based learning or job will take you?

The Government have proposed through raising the participation age that:

  • All young people should participate in education or training until their 18th birthday 
  • Participation should be at school, college or work based training that is provided by an employer 
  • In order for you to be participating you will be working towards accredited exams 
  • You will either be studying full-time if you're not employed or if you are employed and working over 20 hours then your study will be part-time

Other Opportunities

Other Opportunities

On this page you will find opportunities across Hampshire that may be of interest to you. These will be updated regularly so keep coming back as we don't want you to miss out! 

Join In with Hampshire & Isle of Wight:

Do you enjoy helping others? Want to make a difference in your local area? Maybe you have some skills you want to use of fancy learning some new one? Need to gain experience or inject some life into your CV? Or maybe you'd just like to get out more and meet some new friends?

Remember the Olympics and Commonwealth games? Well none of it would of happened without the 70,000+ volunteers who gave up their time to help make the events happen. Volunteering in sport doesn't necessarily mean playing sport. It means helping others to play sport. You would volunteer for your local under 8's football team and help out with training, or design and maintain a webpage for the local tennis club, or maybe you'll pull on your waterproof's and stand out in the street directing marathon runners? There are 1000's of local sports clubs and groups in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, who all need volunteers to exist.

All our vacancies are on website, and when you register on our site you can create your own profile to log your volunteering and create a volunteer CV.

As well as all our local opportunities you could volunteer at major national and international events. Fancy a trip to Rio? You could volunteer for the Olympic Games in 2016. Join In are a national organisation who support local, national and international events through our partnership; we are hoping to help as many people as we can to volunteer both locally, nationally and internationally.

The Prince's Trust:

Are you aged 13-30 and looking to make a change in your life? If you're unemployed or struggling at school, The Prince's Trust can help you in a number of ways, including free training courses, brand new experiences, support, mentoring and finance.

Wessex Dance Academy:

For 12 weeks, you will learn the in and outs of practical contemporary dance, with your training ending in a performance at the Theatre Royal in Winchester, if you successfully complete the course you will receive an Open College Network qualification (OCN) level 1 or 2.

You won't just learn to dance but we also get some great support around education, re-integrating back into school, looking at training and employment, helping you to fill out job applications and prepare for interviews, and if you need it, help to find suitable accommodation.

There will also be important life lessons about preparing healthy meals, keeping fit and making those important and positive life choices that will stand you in good stead for years to come. 

The programme is full time Monday to Friday, breakfast and a hot lunch will be provided along with your travel being paid for.

If this sounds like something that would be beneficial to you, contact Lorna Digweed (

 Inspired Action - Red Cross:

If you have a big idea about how to make things better for your community, now is your chance to make it happen! Inspired Action has grants of up to £150 to set up social action projects.

Recent ideas have included:

  • creating packs of resources to be used in extreme cold weather for vulnerable people
  • setting up a weekly therapeutic massage clinic in college to help people dealing with exam stress 
  • running an information stall at a local market to promote lifesaving first aid skills to use in emergencies relating to drug and alcohol misuse 

Social Action Project Ideas

Social Action Group members must be aged 15 to 25 years old. The Social Action project has to be set up and completed in 12 weeks.

If you have any questions, please get in touch with Linda-Marie Nakibuuka (

The British Racing School - Level 2 Diploma Apprenticeship:

Have you ever considered a job in horse racing? Being top Jockey, leading in the winner or training a horse to win are some of the things you could be doing if you choose racing as a career path.

The British Racing School offers a free residential course to young people aged between 16 and 22. At the end of the course you will be guaranteed a full-time job in the horse racing industry. The course is open to complete beginners so don't worry if you cannot ride, tuition will be given on the course. 

Apprenticeship courses at the British Racing School fill up really quickly, so if your interested, get your application in quick.

 The AQA Unit Award Scheme- Preparing for independence:

 The AQA Unit Award Scheme (UAS) is a unique recording of achievement scheme, offering you the chance to have your achievements formally recognised.

 The UAS are highly valued by employers, colleges and universities.

 The Hampshire Fostering Network (HFN) have selected 23 of the AQA units from the UAS that focus on 5 key areas, that are beneficial to you becoming independent: 

  • Finance 
  • Cooking & Hygiene
  • Personal Development 
  • Household 
  • Health 

The HFN have created worksheets for each unit to make things clear and achievable. If your interested in taking part there is more information on this site, your carer/social worker should be able to help you access this. 

Educational Funding

Educational Funding

Pupil Premium:

Pupil Premium is there as a pot of money that can be accessed by schools and the Virtual School to make sure you are getting the right educational support during the school year.

If you have been in the care of Hampshire County Council for more than one day you will be eligible. You will also be eligible if you have left care and have been; adopted, a special guardianship order, child arrangement order or a residence order.

16 to 19 Bursary Fund:

This bursary is intended to help students pay for education-related costs, this includes:

  • equipment or uniform for college courses 
  • lunch 
  • a laptop

As a looked after child you are entitled to the full £1,200 a year bursary.

It is intended for students who are aged 16 to 19, however if you are older and in full-time education, the bursary is paid directly by your school, college or training provider and the best way to apply for it would be to speak directly to your school/college and they should be able to help you apply.

Entitlement to level 2 & level 3 fee remission 

 The Level 2 fee remission is for students aged 19 to 23 (on the course start date) who are undertaking a Level 2 course who do not already have a full Level 2 qualification.

 A full Level 2 qualification would include 5 GCSEs A-C, NVQ 2, BTEC First Diploma. If you do not have any of these, you will meet the necessary requirements and will not be charged tuition fees.

The same applies for the Level 3 course, provided that you do not already have a full Level 3 qualification.

A full Level 3 course would include 2 or more A-Levels, GNVQ Advanced, BTEC National Diploma, Access to Higher Education, NVQ Level 3 or a vocationally related or other general qualifications at Level 3. 

City & Guilds Bursary:

City & Guilds offer a small amount of bursaries to people who would like to study City & Guilds/ILM qualifications but cannot due to financial reasons. You can use your bursary for a wide range of things:

  • Paying for your course and/or your exam fees 
  • Covering living costs if you are unable to work whilst you are completing your course
  • Covering child care or travel expenses 
  • Covering other costs that are making it difficult for you to enrol on a course 

City & Guilds will not make any retrospective payments such as; payments for a career development, or any deferred loans you may have taken out with college or your bank.

 Discretionary Learner Support: 

If you are aged 19 and on a higher education course and facing financial hardship, you can apply to get Discretionary Learner Support (DLS). You apply direct to your college or other learning provider that you may be using and they will decide how much they will give you, based on your circumstances.

The money could pay for: 

  • accommodation and travel 
  • course materials and handouts 
  • child care (you must be over 20 to apply for help with child care) 

If you already claiming one of the below payments, you can still apply for DLS:

  • professional and career development loans 
  • Care to Learn 
  • Disability Living Allowance 

How will the money get paid to me?:

  • A direct payment to you, which you won't have to pay back 
  • A loan, which you will have to pay back 
  • Paid to someone else, e.g. your landlord

You can't claim DLS if you are already receiving one of the below payments: 

  • getting student finance for higher education 
  • on a Learn Direct course 
  • on an apprenticeship training scheme 
  • on a work based learning course 
  • on a Adult and community learning course 

 NHS Bursary 

 If your thinking about applying for course in medicine, dentistry or healthcare you could be eligible for a NHS Bursary. You bursary will give you help with your tuition fees and living costs. 

Social Work Bursary:

If your applying for a social work course you can access the social work bursary. The bursary can be used to help with course fee and the cost of living, you won't have to pay it back and the amount you receive won't depend on your household income.

Hampshire Old Industrial and Reformatory Schools Trust (HOIRST):

HOIRST is a fund for young people who have either been in the care of Hampshire County Council or who are currently in the care of Hampshire County Council. The fund over the past few years has supported young people to: 

  • access further or higher education 
  • pursue education 
  • help gain employment 

The grants are usually up to £500 and have been given for: 

  • books and materials for courses 
  • a contribution towards a laptop or computer 
  • specialist equipment needed for a course 
  • driving lessons, when a young person lived very rurally and needed to drive to college 

The Evelyn Mace Scholarship: 

The Evelyn Mace Scholarship is for those in care or care leavers that have been in the care of Hampshire County Council. The fund is very similar to the HOIRST fund but is usually awarded to young people who are pursuing arts or drama, such as drama courses, music lessons or higher education that involves drama or the arts. 

Dance and Drama Awards: Funding for Students:

If you are thinking about applying to one of the 19 private dance and drama school you could get help with your fees and living costs.

When you apply to the school tell them you will be applying for DaDA funding, to be eligible for the funding you will need to be over 16 and show talent and a likelihood you will succeed in the industry.

Have a look at the links provided for more information on the eligibility criteria or which schools offer DaDA.

Back to top