Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Smith, Suzanne


Work with either one or two assistants.

Who to contact

01256 895861

Where to go

Accessible changing, Secure environment, Accessible toilets, Disabled parking

Childcare Information


Contact provider for vacancy details?

Funded Places

3 & 4 year old funding
2 year old funding
Registered to provide 30 hours entitlement
When is childcare available
Visit & Outings
Car Parking
Messy Play Area
Sleeping Area
Outdoor Play

School Pickups

Offers pickups
Overton Church of England Primary School

Ofsted Information

Ofsted Inspection Report
Link to latest ofsted inspection report 
Inspection history
Latest Inspection
Inspection DateInspection typeInspection Outcome
06/11/2018Inspection (Early Years Register)Good

Inclusion Information

Special Needs

Has Provision
Experience with
Physical impairment
Medical Needs
Hearing Difficulties
Language impairment
Caters for children with special needs.



Age Ranges
5 to 8 years, 0 to 5 years

Time / Date Details

Session Information
4 Hours or More Per Day
45 Weeks or More Per Year
All year round
Weekday All Day

Local Offer

Local Offer
How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

* I work closely with all the children in my care. * I liaise and involve parents continually. * I support the children by working closely with professionals who may be involved with any child in my care and would follow their advice. * I work closely with other local minders to gain information, experience and support * I follow my policies including; Positive Handling, Physical Contact, Confidentiality and Risk Assessment policies to help support all children. * I would assist you to support your child with on-going assessments of development. * I focus on a child's strengths, building on these to boost each their self-esteem and Self-confidence.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

* I use the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum as a guide for child development. * All curriculum planning is based around the child's strengths, needs and interests, using observation as a starting point to assess what they can do. * Planning is tailored to the children’s developmental needs, rather than their age. * I use a child's interests and preferences to stimulate and encourage participation and motivation * Children can play and explore confidently in my care both in the house, gardens and on outings * One-to-one support can be provided

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

* As a parent/carer you will be kept informed about your child's progress and achievements through daily discussions, diaries, and their \learning Journals Photos are also used as a way of sharing your child's day. * We can also arrange to meet and chat informally at a mutually convenient time. * I am happy to suggest activities for you to do with your child at home. * If a child is not making progress, I can access further support from my PROSPECT co-ordinator, the local authority or seek advice from other professionals which ever we agree seems most relevant. * I have a varied selection of resources in my service which are accessible as developmentally appropriate.I have a 'Parents as Partners' policy which I regularly review and implement.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

Your child's overall well-being is my personal concern. I am responsible for each child's safety and security - both physically and emotionally during their time in my care. Emotionally I aim to support and enhance each child's self-confidence and self-esteem. Physically I aim to keep them safe from harm. I believe children need a healthy diet, lots of fresh air and physical activity. I have a behaviour policy which I implement. Positive behaviour is re-enforced and encouraged using praise. I risk assess my service and all outings constantly. Simple house-rules are in place and shared with parents and children. I am first-aid trained and I re-take this every 3 years. Medication is stored as directed on the container and information is recorded by myself and signed daily by parents. I have undertaken level 4 safe-guarding training. Me, my husband and my 4 children, who are all over 16 years old and each member of staff, have had a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check and DBS. I have a full range of policies including child protection, safe-guarding, inclusion, risk assessments, health and safety, sickness and accident. All my policies are reviewed annually, or following training where appropriate. Written permission is sought for outings and use of cameras when you join our service

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

have previously worked with professionals including; doctors, Portage staff speech therapists, occupational therapists, social workers, paediatricians and school and play school staff. I have a good network of childminding colleagues who have a wealth of experience and Expertise. I can access advice from Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) via my PROSPECT co-ordinator, or from specific professionals.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Training is undertaken regularly to ensure necessary knowledge and to enhance my professional development as the need arises. I am always happy to work closely with parent carers and outside agencies to learn specific skills to support children with additional needs. I am first aid trained, have a level 3 childcare qualification and have trained at level 4 safeguarding. I have completed a 6 week portage course since supporting my own daughter who has Downs Syndrome. I would be prepared to undergo specific training to support a child

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

>As a childminder I have an inclusive service and this is naturally extended to all activities outside too. When considering excursions I would welcome your advice and knowledge concerning your child's needs and requirements. All trips are risk-assessed taking into consideration all children I have in my care. My Inclusion policy is always put into practise. Risk assessment is carried out prior to outings to ensure each child’s requirements are met.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

I work from my home, which is a detached 1850’s house in Laverstoke. There is a small step down from the hall into the kitchen and toilet/shower room and a step down from the playroom to the lounge. The front garden is flat but access to the rear garden is through a narrow entrance leading to a banked area and step. The rear garden is in part natural woodland and therefore uneven and variable.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

I would have several meetings with both parent/s and child to give us the opportunity to get to know each other and for us both to exchange information and build up a relationship. Once a parent has decided they would like their child to come to my setting, we then discuss a flexible settling-in time-table in the weeks/days leading up to their start date. I have many written policies and procedures to share with parents and permission sheets which needs to be signed. I can go through these with you if required. Most importantly the settling-in period gives your child opportunities to become familiar and comfortable with me caring for them and also for them to; meet other children in my care, my family members and to feel comfortable and confident in their new surroundings. I would ask you and your child about their individual likes, dislikes, fears, needs and comforters. For children moving onto a new early years setting or school the professionals from these services are welcome to call me to discuss your child, or to visit them here in my home, if they wish to; with your written permission. With your permission, the professionals can have access to your child's development folder.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

I provide Government funded early year’s education places for eligible 2 year olds 3 and 4 year olds. This is a maximum of 15 hours per week during term time. Additional funding can be claimed for children with special educational needs. I will work with the family to identify and obtain other specialist equipment where required; linking in with professionals. Being registered to work with assistants I may be able to allocate additional staff to assist during certain activities or particular times within their development

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

All information and assessment on your child and their development will be used to assess the level and type of support needed to support you and your child. Discussions with you the parent and continual observations are vital. If further advice is required I will seek the advice of other agencies with your approval

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Parents will be consulted whenever possible and kept up to date with their child's progress and care. I welcome parents into my setting and value their ideas and suggestion as the prime educator of their child. I ask all parents to work with me on their children’s learning and development and encourage a constant two way flow of in formation

Back to top