Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Townrow, Anita Elaine


Coronavirus status:

Who to contact


Where to go


Childcare Information


Immediate vacancies
Contact provider for vacancy details?

Funded Places

3 & 4 year old funding
2 year old funding
Registered to provide 30 hours entitlement
When is childcare available
All Year
Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 07:30 17:30
Tuesday 07:30 17:30
Wednesday 07:30 17:30
Thursday 07:30 17:30
Friday 07:30 17:30
Car Parking
Messy Play Area
Sleeping Area
Outdoor Play

School Pickups

Offers pickups
Abbotswood Junior School

Ofsted Information

Ofsted Inspection Report
Link to latest ofsted inspection report 
Inspection history
Latest Inspection
Inspection DateInspection typeInspection Outcome
21/02/2020Inspection (Early Years Register)Met

Inclusion Information

Special Needs

Has Provision
Caters for children with special needs. Challenging behaviour,Developmental delay,Medical difficulties,Physical difficulties,Soc. Interaction Difficulties,Speech and lang. difficulties

Cultural Provisions

Has Provision
Relig. and Cultural Awareness



Age Ranges
5 to 8 years, 0 to 5 years
Other notes

5-11 years old only, Term time only.

Time / Date Details

Session Information
4 Hours or More Per Day
5 Days or More Per Week
School Term Only
Weekday AM
Weekday PM

Local Offer

Local Offer
Local Offer Age Bands
Early Years (0-4 years)
How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

As a child minder I work alone; but can therefore give close continuous care - supporting your child whilst they are away from home. This helps build confidence and positive self-esteem, helping your child to feel secure emotionally and physically. Learning journeys are shared with parents/carers and they are encouraged to contribute to these to assist with their child’s on-going assessments and developments. For children that may have additional needs I am happy to liaise and work closely with any outside professional agencies that may be involved in their care.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

I use Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum as a guide for each child's development, planning is “child led” so that their learning in built around the child’s individual interests and strengths and needs, to stimulate and encourage their participation and interest, with guidance from me for their next steps. Observations are made on the child and assessments made which will highlight areas of development that may need to be focused on. Every child is a unique person. I allow them to explore and investigate both indoors and out , in a rich environment, with support, ensuring safety and to develop their experiences.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

As a parent/carer you will be kept informed continually about your child's progress and achievements. This is achieved through daily discussions, daily diaries, and their individual folders containing continual observations and assessments which I use to inform their planning. Photos are used in the daily diaries as a way of sharing your child's day. We can also arrange to meet and chat informally at a mutually convenient time. I am happy to suggest activities for you to do with your child at home. All concerns are shared firstly with the child's parent/carer and with agreement I will seek further advice from the relevant professional services/agencies - which ever we agree seems most relevant. I have a 'Working together with Parents' policy which I regularly review and implement. I have a varied selection of resources in my setting which are age appropriate and support the children’s developmental stages, such as large print books, posters in different languages, audio, visual equipment, flash cards, sensory resources, books in different languages and I also share and borrow resources from other child minders and toy libraries. Where English is not a child's first language I can work with local authority to access resources to support the child in my provision.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

Your child's overall well-being is my personal concern. I am responsible for each child's safety and security - both physically and emotionally during their time in my care including the transitions to pre-school and full time education. Emotionally I aim to support and enhance each child's self-confidence and self-esteem. Physically I aim to keep them safe from harm. I have a behaviour policy which I implement, positive behaviour is re-enforced and encouraged using praise. I risk assess my setting and all outings constantly. Simple house-rules are in place and shared with parents and children. I am Paediatric first-aid trained and I up-date this every 3 years. Medication is stored as directed on the container and information is recorded by myself and signed daily by parents. I have undertaken level 4 safe-guarding training and again, this is up-dated every 3 years. I, my husband and my 2 children, who are all over 16 years old, have had a DBS check. I have a full range of policies including child protection, safe-guarding, inclusion, risk assessments, health and safety, sickness and accident. All my policies are reviewed annually, or following training where appropriate. Written permission is sought for outings and use of cameras , sun cream etc on joining the setting.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

have previously worked with professionals for several children in my service, (including my own son who has additional learning needs) including; speech therapists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, social workers, and play school staff. I work with and follow professional advice to assist with progress specifically for a child. I have experience of applying for Statements of Education needs (now Education Health and Care Plans) and claiming other disability benefits etc. I have a good network of child minding colleagues who have a wealth of experience and expertise among them. My daughter is a SENCO at her local school so I could seek advice from her, as well as my local authority or seek advice from other professionals.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Training is undertaken regularly to ensure necessary up to date knowledge and to enhance my professional development . I have completed courses in Speech and Language, Behaviour management, Autism/Asperger's, Supporting 2 year olds, Manual Handling, Paediatric First Aid, Safeguarding Level 4, Health and Safety, Writing IEP’s (Individual Education Plans), and hold a level 3 in Childcare and Development. I am always happy to work closely with parent carers and outside agencies to learn specific skills to support children with additional needs.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

>As a child minder I have an inclusive service and this is extended to all activities outside too. Before undertaking excursions I seek your advice as you have the most up-to-date and relevant knowledge and information concerning your child's needs and requirements. All areas visited are wheelchair/buggy accessible and a risk assessment is carried out prior to the outing to ensure each child’s requirements are met.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

I work from my home in a detached house in West Totton, Southampton. Access through the front door has a step and as well as the back door, I have no wheelchair access. The ground floor of my home is used for child minding and I have a dedicated playroom/conservatory with free flow access to the secure outside garden, also a downstairs toilet. Upstairs bedrooms are used for sleeping only. I am near to many local play parks and outside areas for the children to play, I also do local pre-school runs and school drop off and pick-ups from Hazel Wood school.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

I have an admissions/settling-in policy which I follow for all new children attending my setting. Initial meetings are with both the parent/s and child, this gives the opportunity to meet each other and get to know everyone;- this creates a good environment for future discussions. I also give a copy of my policies and an information leaflet about me which also includes my contact details etc. Once a parent has decided they would like their child to come to my setting, I would arrange a meeting at the parents house to complete all necessary contracts/paperwork and then discuss a flexible settling-in time-table in the weeks/days leading up to their start date. The settling-in period gives your child opportunities to become familiar and comfortable with me caring for them and also for them to; meet other children in my care, my family members and to feel comfortable and confident in their new surroundings. I would also ask you to complete my ‘Record of Children’s Individual Needs’ form relating to your child which gives me information on their routine, dislikes, fears, needs , comforters etc. For children moving onto a new early years setting or school the professionals from these services are welcome to call me to discuss your child, or to visit them here in my home, if they wish to; with parents/carers written permission. With permission, they can have access to your child's development folder.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

In my service I can provide Government funded early years education places for eligible 2 year olds and also all 3 and 4 year olds. This is a maximum of 15 hours per term week. Additional funding can be claimed for children with special educational needs. I will work with the family to identify and obtain other specialist equipment where required; linking in with professionals.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

The decision about how much and the type of support your child receives will be agreed following discussions with you the parent/carer using observations and assessments that I have undertaken. Also, where appropriate, with the 2 year old check and end termly reports. If further advice is required I will, with permission, seek advice from relevant Professional services.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Parents will be continually consulted. As parents you will be kept up to date with your child's progress and care. You will also have a daily diary which is for written 2-way communication between yourself and me. The diary also contains photos which prompts communication between yourself and your child about their day in my care. Joint working with parents is always mutually beneficial- especially for your child.

Back to top