Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Peter Symonds College Adult & Higher Education

The Adult & Higher Education Division (AHED) responds to the diverse needs of the wider adult community.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Suzanne Luchford Head of Adult Study Support
01962 886166

Where to go

Peter Symonds College Adult & Higher Education
Stoney Lane,
SO22 6DR
Accessible changing, Wheelchair access, Disabled parking

Other Details


Age Ranges
16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

Local Offer

Local Offer
How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

When you apply to AHED, you will need to complete an application and/or enrolment form. Within the information we require, you will find questions relating to learning and/or medical needs. This will be discussed further during their college interview and with their consent this information will be passed to relevant college staff to establish how we can meet their needs through the transition process. This may involve meetings with key college staff in the summer term before they enrol with us. If you have any queries regarding SEN, please contact the Head of Adult Study Support. A range of evidence is collected through the usual assessment and monitoring arrangements. A screener is completed on enrolment/induction, your tutor may refer the young person or they can self-refer.

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

Study support offers specialist assistance to students who need additional help during their time at college. Support is available to meet a wide range of needs. The department is managed by our Head of Adult Study Support who is supported by the Adult Study Support Totor and a team of Learning Support Assistants. There is a specialist learning support tutor assessor who will support you if you have a specific learning difficulty. This level of support will be based on your level of need and may involve 1:1 lessons. The specialist tutor may also assess you for your exam access arrangements if appropriate. You may also be supported by a Learning Support Assistant in your lesson, depending on your identified level of need. This team may also provide trip support and support for you with your access arrangements within examinations. Your plan of support will be discussed and agreed with you based on your level of need. With your consent this information is shared with your subject tutors so that they can support you within the classroom. You support will be regularly reviewed with you, linking with your subject tutors and in line with college progress procedures.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

When an application form is received we establish the level of support that we can provide for you at college. With your consent information is shared with your subject tutors so that your needs can be met within the classroom setting and reasonable adjustments made. This could include equipment loans and modified resources to enable you to access the curriculum. Your plan of support will be shared with relevant staff and will be updated should your support needs change. Your progress will be monitored by your subject tutors, pastoral team and study support.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

The curriculum team along with study support staff monitor student’s progress in class and via progress reviews. In addition to the College’s Progress Review procedures should you have any concerns or questions regarding your young person’s learning, your first point of contact will be their Curriculum Head. Contact can be made by email or directly by telephone. If appropriate, meetings with study support staff, the pastoral team, you and the student can be arranged. We will always ask to see you if we have concerns about the young person’s progress. If your young person has a statement of SEN, an annual review is held according to the guidance in the Code of Practice.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

At AHED we place great emphasis on supporting and guiding you personally and academically. You are important to us and we will do everything we can to try to make your time here as enjoyable and productive as possible. You will have a personal tutor who plays a key role in your life at college. Your tutor will get to know you well, monitor your progress and attendance and make sure that you are kept up-to-date with what is going on in college. Students with difficult problems or those which take time to resolve are often referred to the curriculum head for support and guidance. Our experienced counsellors are available to talk to you about anything that is bothering you, whether you, whether it seems big or small, related to College life or not. The chaplaincy service is open to students of all faiths or none. We recognise we play a large part in safeguarding and promoting your welfare. Where appropriate, we work closely with the local Children’s Services Department. We have a Child Protection Officer on site.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

We link with other professionals as and when appropriate.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Training for teaching students with SEN is considered essential. There is an on-going programme of whole college training in teaching and supporting students including child protection and first aid. The study support team have specific training which includes: access arrangements, diagnostic assessment, dyslexia and dyspraxia and autistic spectrum conditions.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

>We make every effort to include all students on college trips. If an individual risk assessment is required, we will write this in order to ensure that everyone is fully included.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

We make every reasonable adjustment possible. There is an accessible toilet and ground floor access to the Study Support department and Quiet Room.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

For students with SEND we encourage visits to assist with the acclimatisation to the new surroundings. Where necessary we liaise with SENCOs at feeder schools to ensure all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are understood. The information is shared with heads of department and subject tutors where necessary.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

We ensure that the needs of all students who have SEN are met to the best of the college’s ability with the funds available. We have a Specialist Tutor and team of LSAs who are funded from the SEN budget. The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The students who have the most complex needs are given the most support, often involving a tutor and an LSA. If your young person has an S139a or Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) we will ensure that the provision specified is provided.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

If there is a requirement for extra support this will be agreed by everyone that needs to help your young person.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Parents are welcome to sit in on a lesson to experience what it is like to study at AHEd. Parents are invited to student led events.

Back to top