Family Information and Services Hub
Local Offer

Farnborough College of Technology

Offering services to:
  • Children 11-16
  • Adults 19-25
  • Young people 16-18

We are a General Further Education college in Farnborough & Aldershot, offering academic and vocational courses. Courses span pre-entry and HE. We’re an inclusive college where a range of SEND are catered for.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Steven Hunt
01252 407558 01252 407558
Scan to visit this website

Where to go

Farnborough College of Technology
Boundary Road

GU14 6SB

View GU14 6SB on a map

Local Offer

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We work very closely with all of our feeder schools to make sure we know in advance of students who may need extra help. School SENCO share information with the college and we carry out some transition work. As well as this we find out if a student needs extra help in a number of other ways: • The Local Authority requests a reply to their EHCP from us before they arrive • The student tell us on their application form, at interview or on arrival during their induction • Staff teaching the student at college can bring it to the attention of the ALS team • The student can be assessed for exam concessions When we have had information from any of these sources, we conduct an assessment to ascertain the type of need and support required. If you think your child has special educational needs then please discuss with their current education provider. If you need to know about support offered at Farnborough College of Technology then please do contact Liz Wilson.

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

A student’s study programme will be overseen by their teaching staff, assisted if required by a member of the Additional Learning Support team. If a young person has an EHCP then a key worker will be allocated to them during transition. All staff working with the student will be made aware of their needs and will differentiate teaching to remove barriers from learning. Once a student starts college the type of support required will be assessed and could take the form of: • Small Group Workshops • 1:1 Workshops • Equipment Support • Mentoring • In-class support • Named key worker • Access Arrangements • Work with Specialist Teacher Advisory Service • Work with Inclusion Hampshire • Access to ELCAN trained staff • Specialist Support • Study Skills Sessions • Assistive Technology Support • Access to counselling support This will be over seen by the college SENCO The frequency and type of support will depend on the student’s needs and may be available in every class or via a regular appointment. This support will be reviewed regularly and adapted to suit the student's needs. Parents are welcome to contact the college and/or meet staff, at which point the type of support required by their young person will be explained in detail. The whole organisation is committed to supporting students to achieve both their academic goals and greater independence.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

We match the ability, ambitions, prior experience and interests of each student to the programme of study that they follow. There are general entrance requirements for each course which are designed to ensure that the curriculum matches the needs of the student. It may be the case that it is beneficial for a student to attend weekly study skills support and this can be included in their timetable. Some students may need to work on independence skills linked to their ILP. This would be discussed with the ALS team on starting the course. Within the Foundation and Entry Level department the curriculum is designed in line with the SEN code of practice and is designed to develop student’s employability, independence and social inclusion skills. Differentiated strategies to achieve learning aims are expected in all lessons and may be achieved through a variety of approaches including and ensuring that: • Support and resources are available • Questioning establishes understanding • Explanations take into account communication needs • Structure and environment take into account behavioural requirements All students will have an Individual Learning Plan which can be linked to their EHCP and used as a resource to help students meet their goals.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

Teaching and support staff set targets for students on a regular basis. Progress on these targets will be discussed with students during tutorials and recorded. New targets are agreed with the student as necessary. All students will have an Individual Learning Plan which can be linked to their EHCP and used as a resource to help students meet their goals. Parents/carers will be invited to three Parent's Evenings each year to discuss overall progress but can additionally request to meet with staff supporting their young person if they would like more regular feedback on progress made in both learning and behaviour. At this point you will also be able to discuss how you can ensure consistency of support strategies at home. For students with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), an annual review will take place to which parents/carers and other relevant professionals will be invited. Student and parent/carer contributions to this are considered valuable and are welcomed.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

Student wellbeing is a priority for all staff. Students can access a wide range of support available including the College Health Advisor, student support team and the college counselling service. This can be accessed as necessary to support student progress and to advise on referrals to other support agencies. Students who require advice to ensure their physical and mental health are supported in conjunction with other specialist support agencies including: CAMHS and the specialist teacher advisory service as required. One-to-one and/or group tutorials take place weekly to ensure that students are given the time and opportunity to talk to their teachers about individual needs and concerns. Group tutorials are an opportunity for students to develop a broad awareness of factors affecting individuals and society as well as skills of communication and reflection.

What specialist services and expertise are avaliable at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

The college works very closely with the SEN teams from the feeder counties to ensure EHCPs meet the needs of the young person. Where additional support is needed the college will access the services of: • CAMHS • Inclusion Hampshire • Specialist Teacher Advisor – Visual Impairment • Specialist Teacher Advisor – Hearing Impairment • Specialist Teacher Advisor – Physical Disability • Specialist Teacher Advisor – Speech, Language and Communication • SEN advisors Counselling provision is available to all students and is delivered by qualified counsellors. To ensure the support of students who are looked after or care leavers we have regular liaison with the Local Authority to ensure students are supported appropriately and that information about their progress is shared.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Staff have a wide variety of qualifications based on their areas of specialism - including Postgraduate qualifications. Within the ALS team there are 6 qualified teachers as well as learning support workers with a wide range of expertise between them. One member of staff is currently studying for National SENCO accreditation (University of Winchester) One member of staff has a postgraduate in SpLD One member of staff is studying for a post graduate in Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs Our college Health Advisor is a Registered Nurse All of our college counsellors are qualified

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

>Feeling part of the college community and enjoying the experience of college is an essential part of student well-being, therefore enrichment activities and off-site visits take place throughout the academic year that are open to all students. Enrichment activities should be accessible to all and reasonable adjustments will be made to ensure students can access all activities, trips and events. Students, along with their parents/carers are often best placed to advise on how best to plan activities and trips and discussions on this will be welcomed. Risk assessments for all off-site activities are essential.

How accessible is the setting/school/college enviroment?

The College campus is large and has several buildings across two sites, all of which are fully wheelchair accessible. There are disabled toilet facilities across the campus that can be accessed by students as necessary. Hearing loops are available for hearing impaired learners in public areas and adjustments are made wherever necessary to ensure visually impaired students and visitors are able to access all promotional and instructional materials. The college is committed to providing alternative formats for communication with parents/carers whose first language is not English and translation into community languages is available on request. We use various software packages and other technological aids to support the individual students we have at college.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

Students at our local specialist schools have familiarisation visits which form part of the application process. These enable the student to feel comfortable around the college campus and meet specialist staff. Students with significant special educational needs and disabilities are invited in for a taster day where they can try out the courses and experience a college day. Information on a prospective student's needs will be sought from the Local Authority in the form of an Education, Health and Care Plan. A formal reply will be sent to the Local Authority confirming the support that can be offered. Information will also be sought from the student’s current school SENCO. The student will be invited to make transition visits to the college to meet staff who will teach and support them and to familiarise themselves with the environment. Students with EHCPs will be allocated a key worker who will help the young person in the transition to college. The college SENCO will make sure all staff have the relevant information on the young person to make sure they support them appropriately. When a student is preparing to move on from the college they will be supported to apply for further study at another College, Further provision at FCOT including HE provision and Universities or to apply for jobs. With their permission, information on their support needs may be passed to other educational establishments to support their progression. Students with EHCPs will have an annual review towards the end of the year.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

Students with Education, Health and Care Plans are allocated the support agreed in annual review. Where costs of support rise over £6,000 per year, the Local Authority pay for the additional costs from their High Needs allocation. Students without Education, Health and Care Plans may still be supported based on their needs and resources will be allocated based on specialist teacher assessment.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

The decision is made based on student need. All support is allocated with a view to promoting independence and flexibility in our students to enable future success. Students’ needs will firstly be assessed based on information from the Local Authority where a student has an Education, Health and Care Plan or on information from their previous school. Following this students and parents/carers will be consulted. Staff within the organisation will make the decision on the type and volume of support and this decision will be confirmed where necessary by the Local Authority. The impact of the support is judged against the extent to which students have met their agreed targets at each regular review point. Their attendance, success on their course and where they progress to are also used as indicators of success as they demonstrate the extent to which the student is engaged with their learning. The young person is at the centre of any decision making and will have been involved in the development of their EHCP.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Parents/carers are involved with regular liaison, where appropriate; to ensure that the support that is in place is effective in supporting the student's learning. Parents/carers are invited to three Parent's Evening events and can seek further details at any point during the year if they have concerns. Parents/carers are written to if there are significant concerns about the student's behaviour, attendance or progress and staff welcome support from home in dealing with these issues as they arise.

Offering services to:
  • Children 11-16
  • Adults 19-25
  • Young people 16-18


Save to shortlist

Last Updated: 16 March 2023

Go back to top