Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Childrens Occupational Therapy (Social Care)

The Children and Families Occupational Therapy Service is part of Hampshire’s Social Care, Disabled Children's Teams. We provide an equipment and adaptation service to disabled children in their own homes.

Who to contact

Contact Name
All enquiries & referrals are made to our central team
0300 555 1384

Where to go

Childrens Occupational Therapy (Social Care)
Hampshire House
SO50 5PA

Other Details


Age Ranges
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Local Offer

Local Offer
What does your service do?

The Children and Families Occupational Therapy Service is part of Hampshire’s Social Care, Disabled Children's Teams. We provide an equipment/adaptation service to disabled children in their own homes. We assess any child referred to us to see if they are eligible for our help. Occupational Therapists are trained to work with children who have difficulties with everyday practical and social skills. We aim to ensure your child is as independent as possible at home and to support you in managing your child’s daily living activities. We do this by adapting the child’s environment to suit their needs, or by providing equipment. We work with other professionals e.g. Local Councils, Health Authorities, Education and Voluntary Organisations. If your child is eligible for our help, we will make an assessment about their needs and recommendations about what sort of help your child should have.

We ensure your child has a safe and appropriate environment to suit their needs. This may include installation of equipment, e.g. specialist beds, shower/toilet seats or benches; or changes to the environment; e.g. minor adaptations like rails/window restrictors; or major adaptations, e.g. stair lifts, level access showers or altering existing rooms, or in exceptional circumstances, extending when re-housing has not been possible.

We have no limitation on the time we are involved; this depends on what work we need to complete with you. Occupational Therapists will discuss with you how/who to contact after our involvement has ended, as this will vary depending on what work has been undertaken.

Who does your service provide for?

We offer help to any child living in Hampshire from 0-18yrs who has a permanent and substantial learning or physical disability; and a need for an occupational therapy service to improve their independence, skills and daily life.

Requests for general letters to support a family in applying for Re-housing and Charitable Fund raising do not need to be referred to the Children and Families Occupational Therapy Service. Any professional that knows a child/young person and/or family well (such as your GP, Social Worker or Lead Professional) can write a letter to support a family’s request for re-housing or support the benefits of purchasing play or other equipment.

How can I start using the service?

Anyone can contact the Children and Families Occupational Therapy Service if they want an assessment for a disabled child. You can call us direct to OT Direct 0300 555 1384. There is no charge for the Occupational therapy service (some items provided may require a financial contribution from families e.g. house adaptations; but this will be discussed fully with you while we are working with you).
There can be a high demand for the service so we prioritise referrals according to urgency.

Where is it located and what areas does it cover?

The service is available throughout the whole of the Hampshire County Council area (excluding Southampton and Portsmouth cities who have their own services).

Our Occupational Therapists work as a county-wide service and are based within the four Disabled Children’s Teams:

* Western Area team – covering the New Forest, Winchester, Eastleigh, and southern Test Valley - Hampshire House, Eastleigh SO50 5PA

* Havant, Fareham & Gosport – covering Havant & Waterlooville, Fareham & Gosport - Public Service Plaza, Civic Centre Road, Havant PO9 2AX

* North East team – covering East Hampshire, Hart and Rushmoor - Park House, High Street, ALTON GU34 1EN

* Basingstoke/Andover team – covering Basingstoke and Andover and northern Test Valley - Vertex, Chineham Court, Lutyens Close, Basingstoke RG24 8AG

How are decisions made about who can use your service?

If you meet the criteria described in ''who does your service provide for''; you will receive an assessment from us. When a referral is accepted, we will make a decision about priority based on urgency of need and risk of potential harm], to help us manage demand for the service. If the Occupational Therapy service is not appropriate to help you we aim to offer other ideas and signpost you to more suitable help.

The Occupational Therapist (OT) will complete a needs-led assessment and make recommendations jointly with you and your child.

The Occupational Therapist can arrange to provide the equipment that you need at home (other professionals also have access to this service e.g. School Nurse, Health Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Speech and Language Therapist).

Major adaptations are funded via the Disabled Facilities Grants, these are allocated by your local district/borough council who make the decision about the funding that will be offered. For children and families, all recommendations for Disabled Facilities Grants are carried out by the Occupational Therapists in Hampshire’s Children and Families Occupational Therapy Service. For advice on eligibility for Disabled Facilities Grants to adapt a home for someone with a disability please see:

How do you communicate with service users and how are they involved in decision making?

You will be given a copy of our agreed recommendations and how we are going to achieve this together.
We demonstrate all equipment that is provided to children and their parents and other relevant people e.g. support workers coming into the home.
We give information and advice to disabled children and their carers about other places you can get help. We will also ask you to tell us your opinion of our service and ask for your suggestions to improve it.
If your family has communication/language needs, the service will arrange an interpreter/ support for you while doing the assessment and for any subsequent discussions or meetings.

Is your service fully accessible?

The majority of our work is completed at your home or at your child’s school. Occupational Therapists would talk with you about the best way to involve your child in the assessment taking into account their individual needs / disabilities.

Please discuss any individual requirements with your Occupational Therapist.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEN and Disabilities had or are having?

All Occupational Therapists have a professional qualification and are registered with their professional body (Health and Care Professions Council). They have to continue training and learning to update their skills and knowledge throughout their careers. In Hampshire, Occupational therapists employed to work with children must have a minimum of two years post-qualifying experience and they also receive training specific to working with children.

How will I know my child is safe?

All Occupational Therapists have had checks and references before starting work, to make sure they are safe and suitable to work with your child. This also happens for any services arranged by your Occupational Therapist.
Hampshire County Council has a Safeguarding Children policy which gives clear information about how children should be kept safe.
We will support you to become confident using any equipment we provide so that you know your child will be safe.
If you later have a concern that equipment is not correct for your child or there is a problem, families can contact Hampshire’s Equipment Service direct (HES) Tel: 01256 476800
This is also the contact number for if you have disability equipment that is no longer being used and needs collecting, so it can be recycled and re-used by others.

Who can I contact for further information?

While the service is working with your family you will usually have a named worker who is your main contact to discuss your family’s needs, or any changes or concerns. Before you are allocated a named worker, or if your worker is away we have a duty system and you will be given the contact details on acceptance of your referral. To discuss a possible referral, please contact OT Direct on 0300 555 1386.
If you have any concerns you should raise them with your named worker, or their line manager in the first instance. Further details of the Children’s Services complaints process can be found here at

Back to top