Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub


A free impartial service for all parent carers of children with special educational needs and disabilities, and for children and young people with SEND in Hampshire.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Linda Batchelor
Contact Position
Administration Officer
01962 845870

Where to go

Support4SEND - Formerly Hampshire Parent Partnership Service
Elizabeth II Court North, 4th Floor
SO23 8UG

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. We offer a 24 hour answerphone service.
Time of day

Other Details


Referral required

Local Offer

Local Offer
What does your service do?

Support4SEND (formerly Parent Partnership Service) provides free impartial information, advice and support to parent carers of children and young people aged 0 to 25 with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and to children and young people with SEND throughout Hampshire. We aim to empower parent carers to make informed decisions for their child by offering guidance regarding the different options available. We never make decisions for people but support them in exploring their options, and assist them to get their views across on an equal basis with the professionals who are making provision for their child. We also offer the same support to children and young people themselves. We offer: • a confidential telephone helpline service • a website with information about our service and a range of resources relating to educational issues • individual support by telephone, email, or visit • we listen to your views and concerns, help you to explore your options and to express your views at meetings or in writing • help to understand your/ your child’s rights around education • help with discussions with your/your child’s school/college, the Local Authority and other agencies so that your concerns are heard • help you to understand jargon and complicated forms and documents • support through the Education Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment process • trained volunteer Independent Parental Supporters (IPS) • information about other organisations who may be able to support you We also offer presentations to support groups, and organise an annual Special Needs Information Day.

Who does your service provide for?

We offer free, impartial and confidential advice, guidance and support to parent carers of children with SEND from 0 – 25, and to children and young people individually. The child or young person does not need to have a diagnosis. They may have a special need that is short term or long term. We don’t have any criteria for using the service, apart from the child or young person having SEND. All information shared with us is confidential and we do not share information with anyone unless we have permission from the parent, child or young person to do so. The only exception to this would be if there are child protection concerns. Support4SEND supports parent carers, children and young people for as long as required. We also work closely with a number of other organisations in Hampshire. We endeavour to ensure that parent carers, children and young people have the opportunity to express their views and concerns.

How can I start using the service?

You do not need a referral, a diagnosis or permission from school/college/local authority to contact us. Speaking to our service is your decision and choice. This can be done in several ways:-

• You can phone our contact number – 01962 845870. It is most likely that you will reach the answerphone, but please leave a message. Our Admin Officer will make the initial contact and aims to get back to you within two working days, but in busy periods, it may be four working days

• You can e-mail our service –

• You can ask a professional to help you access support from us by asking them to help you compete a referral request form.  This form gives us permission to make contact with you. 

Where is it located and what areas does it cover?

We are based in Winchester, but cover the whole of Hampshire (except for Southampton and Portsmouth). If you live in Hampshire but you attend, or your child attends, a school in another authority, we will support you. However, if you live outside Hampshire and you attend, or your child attends, a Hampshire school, we can give you the contact numbers for your local Information Advice and Support Service.

How are decisions made about who can use your service?

We support all Hampshire parent carers who have a child/young person with SEND, and children and young people with SEND. It is your choice to access our service. Once you have contacted us and given us information about your concerns, we discuss with you how we can best support you.

How do you communicate with service users and how are they involved in decision making?

'''Communication:''' We communicate with service users in a variety of ways. These include:-

• a confidential phone help line 01962 845870

• by e-mail

• through the website

• by post: Support4SEND, Children’s Services, Elizabeth II Court North, 4th Floor, Winchester, S023 8UG

• face to face (at home, school, college, community centres, children’s centres, etc)

• working with interpreters to support families where English is not the first language

• producing leaflets and fact sheets which give general information about aspects of special educational needs provision. These are available to parent carers, children, young people, schools, voluntary organisations, etc.

• publicising events that may be of interest to parent carers, children and young people • signposting parent carers, children and young people to other organisations that may be able to offer support

• Special Needs Information Day held annually in different parts of Hampshire

• links with Hampshire Parent Carer Network and Parent Voice

• regular attendance at support groups and professional groups to publicise our service

• attendance at information events and conferences. '''Decision Making:''' It is your choice to contact Support4SEND. Impartial advice is given to empower you to look at options and make informed decisions. We send out questionnaires to help us evaluate our service and to identify areas for improvement. We give formal feedback of views of parent carers, children and young people to the SEN Management Team.

Is your service fully accessible?

The building we work in is fully accessible and we are able to meet you in Winchester if required. In addition, we can do home visits, or meet you in a public place if preferred, and attend meetings at schools, colleges or other local authority buildings. We cover the whole of Hampshire (except Portsmouth and Southampton) all year round, including school holidays. If English is not your first language, we can help by visiting with an interpreter so that paperwork or information is explained to you. We can access a minicom and other communication aids.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEN and Disabilities had or are having?

All the Information Advice and Support Officers have had Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA) Legal Training. We attend other training relevant to our role. Our volunteer Independent Parental Supporters are given training termly, to ensure that they have up to date knowledge of changes in educational processes and law. We receive support from the national Information Advice and Support Services Network (IASSN) who hold policy update days, provide ongoing updates and information, and host a national forum of IASSs. We also keep up to date with changes in the law and share good practice with other IASSs by attending IASSN regional meetings.

How will I know my child is safe?

All staff and volunteers have an enhanced DBS certificate.

Does your service include children and young people with:
Who can I contact for further information?

Contact us through our telephone helpline - 01962 845870. You are likely to have to leave a message, giving your name and contact number. We aim to get back to you within two working days, although it may be four working days in busy times. Initially you will speak to our Admin Officer, who will take details such as your name, your child’s name and date of birth, address and contact number and brief information about the issues you would like to discuss with us. Alternatively, you can e-mail us at enquiries.support4send@hants,  We also have a lot of information on the Support4SEND website You can contact Hantsdirect who can put you through to us - 0300 555 1384.

Back to top