Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Peter Symonds College

An open access sixth form college providing education for 16-18 year olds from Winchester & the surrounding area. Our motto ‘counting in ones’ reflects our commitment to high quality education.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Reception or Admissions Office
01962 857500 (Switchboard) 01962 857555

Where to go

Peter Symonds College
Owens Road
SO22 6RX
Accessible changing, Physical adaptations, Wheelchair access, Accessible toilets, Disabled parking

Other Details


Age Ranges
16, 17, 18

Local Offer

Local Offer
How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

Peter Symonds College is committed to early identification of SEN and a student may be identified as having an SEN at any stage during his/her education. When students apply to PSC, they will need to complete an online application form. Within the information we require you will find questions relating to your child’s learning and/or medical needs. This will be discussed further with them during the college interview and with, their consent, this information will be passed to relevant college staff to establish how we can meet their needs through the transition process. This may involve meetings with key college staff in the summer term before they enrol with us. The Admissions Team will be able to direct you to the relevant team member within the study support department to answer any queries regarding SEN. At enrolment, all students complete a study skills screening questionnaire which will identify if any follow up is needed to support a student with their learning at college. On-course, a range of feedback is collected through the usual assessment and progress review process. An outcome from this might be that a teacher makes a referral to the Study Support department for a student. If you have any concerns once your son/daughter has enrolled, you will need to speak to the relevant Faculty Administrator in the first instance.

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

The Study Support department offers specialist help to students with a wide range of needs who need additional support during their time at college. The department is managed by our Head of Study Support and is supported by the Lead Specialist Teacher and the Lead Learning Support Assistant. The team of specialist teacher assessors work with students who have a specific learning difficulty. The level of support will be based on the level of need and the resources available, and may involve 1:1 lessons or small group work. The specialist teacher team may also assess students for exam access arrangements, if appropriate. Students may also be supported by a Learning Support Assistant in lessons, depending on the identified level of need. This team also provides practical support, personal care, trip support and support with access arrangements within examinations. In addition, there are experienced staff to support students with a range of medical, physical and sensory needs. A plan of support will be discussed and agreed with the student based on their level of need. With student consent, this information is shared with subject teachers so that they can provide support within the classroom setting. The support in place is regularly reviewed with the student, linking with subject teachers in line with college-wide progress review procedures. Study skills workshops and subject workshops are available on a drop-in basis for all students. Teaching staff will support individuals at a level appropriate to their needs through effective differentiation in the classroom.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

All students who apply to the college will be asked to give information about their predicted GCSE grades, skills and experiences, achievements and future goals on the application form. They also have the opportunity to disclose information about any additional learning support needs. All this will be discussed at interview, where an appropriate provisional programme of study will be agreed. At enrolment, the final programme is agreed in the light of actual GCSE grades and any other supporting evidence. Throughout the transition process we establish the level of support that can be provided for a young person at the college. With student consent, information is shared with subject teachers so that needs can be met within the classroom setting and reasonable adjustments made. This could include, for example, equipment loans, use of specialist software and modified resources to enable the student to access the curriculum. Sometimes additional support will involve input from other professionals who have been involved in supporting the young person previously. The plan of support will be shared with relevant staff and will be updated should support needs change. Student progress is monitored by subject teachers, the pastoral team and study support.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

The curriculum, pastoral and study support staff monitor student’s progress via the shared student record on the college intranet. This includes information about progress grades and attendance. Parents/guardians can access progress grades and up to date attendance information for their son/daughter via the Parents’ Portal. In addition to the college-wide progress review process and parents’ evenings, should you have any concerns or questions regarding your son/daughter’s learning, your first point of contact will be their allocated Faculty Administrator. Contact can be made by email via the college Parents’ Portal or directly by telephone. Further information is provided to parents/guardians during Induction. If appropriate, meetings with study support staff, the pastoral team, you and the student can be arranged. There are termly parent evenings and we will always ask to see you if we have concerns about your son/daughter’s progress. If your son/daughter has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), an annual review is held according to the guidance in the Code of Practice.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

We place great emphasis on supporting and guiding individual students, in line with our ethos of ‘counting in ones’. Each student is part of a tutor group and so has a personal tutor who plays a key role in their life at college. The tutor will get to know each tutee well, monitor their progress and attendance and make sure that they are kept up-to-date with what is going on in college. As well as group tutorials, each student will have regular 1 to 1 tutorials. Students with complex problems or those which take time to resolve are often referred to a Lead Tutor for support and guidance. The Student Services department provides a range of information, advice and guidance about a range of matters, from financial support and free college meals to transport and personal support. The college has an experienced and professionally qualified Counselling team providing confidential support, which is BACP accredited. There are also close links with the local CAMHS team. There is a College Nurse on site, and a recently developed Hub supporting students with low level anxieties. The Chaplaincy Service is open to students of all faiths or none and there is access to a quiet room. The Careers department employs professionally qualified Careers Advisers who provide high quality, impartial careers information, advice and guidance. The service holds the Investor in Careers quality award. There are named Child Protection Officers and, where appropriate, we work closely with the local Children’s Services Department.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

Peter Symonds College has close links with external agencies such as Hampshire County Council Specialist Teacher Advisors (Hearing Impaired, Visually Impaired, Physical disabilities, Communication and language) ,Hampshire County Council Mobility Officers, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Speech and Language Therapy, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS).

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Training for teaching students with SEN is considered essential at Peter Symonds College. There is an on-going programme of whole college training covering both teaching and supporting students, including Child Protection and First Aid. Specific training for the study support team includes: Moving and Handling, Food Hygiene, Evacuchair, Speech and Language, Access arrangements, diagnostic assessment, dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, Autistic Spectrum Conditions, EAL. We currently have 5 specialist teachers in SpLDs, 4 of whom hold Practising Certificates from Patoss or a level 7 qualification in assessing and teaching SpLD and are members of AMBDA.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

>We make every effort to include all students in college trips. If an individual risk assessment is required, we will write this in order to ensure that everyone is fully included. Parents and external professionals will be included in the completion of a risk assessment, where appropriate.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

Although the main Owens Road site is situated on a hilly campus, adaptations have been made and we are committed to making the College more accessible as facilities are refurbished/upgraded, ensuring all students can participate fully in College life. We have lifts to access upper floors in the majority of teaching blocks and the LRC. There are also accessible toilets and a shower and ground floor access to the Study Support department. Accessible routes are marked around the campus for mobility impaired and wheelchair users. The Weeke site is fully accessible.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

If your child has an EHCP we attend Year 10 and Year 11 reviews when invited by the school. We then prepare a transition programme which could include visits to the College to assist with the orientation to new surroundings, based on identified need. We liaise with SENCOs at our partner schools to ensure all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are understood. Each student with a special educational need is allocated a named person who makes contact with them in the summer term, to discuss and prepare for the start of the academic year. Annual reviews are held whilst in College.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

Where a student has additional support needs identified in an EHCP, resources are identified and allocated as part of the ‘high needs’ funding arrangements with HCC. For those students who are not ‘high needs’, provision is planned according to the assessment made via the admissions and enrolment process but may be limited by the funds available. Where needs are identified on-course, the college will endeavour to meet them within the constraints of the overall college budget.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

If there the need for additional support is identified via the admissions process, this will be discussed and agreed with you and the student by the Study Support department. If the need is identified on-course, this would be discussed and agreed with you and the student by the Study Support Department and/or the Head of Faculty/Lead Tutor. The agreed support plan would be shared with everyone that needs to help your son/daughter to learn and achieve.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Information and feedback can be obtained via the Parents’ Portal and parents’ evenings. There are two parent Governors. Details of the College’s Complaints Policy and Procedures can be obtained from the Student Services department (students) or the Principal’s PA (parents/guardians).

Back to top