Skip to main content
Family Information and Services Hub

Karen Osborne - Childminder EY298496


Who to contact

02392 422992

Where to go

Accessible changing, Secure environment

Childcare Information


Contact provider for vacancy details?

Funded Places

3 & 4 year old funding
2 year old funding
Registered to provide 30 hours entitlement

Local Offer

Local Offer
How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

I build a good relationship with all the children in my care and their parents getting to know them very well. This helps me to support each child individually and their parents with their individual needs. I work closely with each child’s parents so we can share experiences, information and support. When a child starts I ask the parents to fill in an ‘All about me’ form which focuses on their strengths, areas of development, home life, interests and language which helps identify the types of activities or support to be provided.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

I use the Early Years Foundation Stage EYFS as a guide for the children’s development in my care as this recognises children learn and acquire knowledge through seven areas of learning and development. My setting is child led so their learning is centred around what interests the child. Your child’s earliest years are important in ensuring their healthy development. I will work alongside you planning and supporting your child’s unique needs and interests.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

I will constantly be observing your child and recording their progress using the EYFS Early Years Foundation Stage. By using this it will give both of us a clear view where your child’s development is and how it is progressing and if there are any areas that need special attention. I complete a daily diary for every session your child is with me; also a development book and a learning journal that includes photos every three months but these can be shared more regularly if needed. I will work closely with you so we can share experiences, information and support, as I do with all the children in my care.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

I am trained in first aid and hold a current certificate that I renew every three years. All medication is stored in a secure place. A record book is kept of all medications held and dosage, time of administration is recorded and signed by the parent. All the adults in my home including me have been police checked. I also hold a current Safeguarding certificate that I renew every three years. I hold monthly fire checks and fire drills with the children and have risk policy’s for all the rooms in my house and outings with go on. And a daily risk assessment check list. Positive behaviour is re-enforced and encouraged using praise. I have a full range of policies that all parents receive a copy of that are regularly updated and reviewed. The wellbeing of every child in my care is my highest priority. My goal is all the children in my care are safe, happy, and feel part of the family and at home. I give them a gentle stimulating and educating environment, and to make the children in my care feel good about themselves and praise and reward them for their good behaviour and achievements.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

can access expertise from my Professional Association of Childcare and Early Years (PACEY) co-ordinator, the local authority or seek advice from other professionals.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Training is undertaken regularly to ensure necessary knowledge and to enhance my professional development as the need arises. I am always happy to work closely with parent carers and outside agencies to learn specific skills to support children with additional needs. I am first aid trained, have level 3 safeguarding and NVQ3 Childcare qualification.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

>When planning any outings and activities that involve your child I will always welcome parents input and feedback. All areas visited are wheelchair/buggy accessible and a risk assessment is carried out prior to the outing to ensure each child’s needs are met.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

I work from my home which is an end of terrace house in Gosport. There no step to front of house but a fairly narrow front doorway. I use downstairs for my childminding business this is all one level and has toilet facilities downstairs too. The garden is enclosed but has several steps down in to it from the back door.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

I have several meetings with parents and the child to meet my family and I and other children in my setting. I also do several settling in sessions where the child and parent come to my setting and stay for a session then the child stays alone with me for a small amount of time such as an hour at first then building it up until the child is happy to be left in my care. The amount of sessions and length depends how easily the child settles in. When the child moves on to another setting or starts school I am happy for the other establishment to come and visit my home and the child there and for me to visit their setting with the child to help with the transition and to share information to help the move go as smooth and easy for the child with the parents permission.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

In my service I can provide government funded early years education places for eligible 2 year olds and also all 3 and 4 year olds. This is a maximum of 15 hours per term week. Additional funding can be claimed with special educational needs. I will work with the family to identify and obtain other specialists equipment where required; linking in with professionals.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

The decision is made about how much and the type of support your child receives following discussions with you and after observations and assessments that I do including the 2 year check report which you have a copy and I also share a copy with your permission to your child’s health visitor and any other settings they attend such as nursery or play school. If further advice is required I will, with permission from you seek advice from my Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY) co-ordinator.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

I work closely with all my parents sharing information about their child progress with their Learning Journals and Development Books. These are shared with the parents every three months which the parents sign and comment on the child’s progress. I discuss each child’s development with their parents regularly and any concerns there may be and share information on their child daily at the start and end of each session and also in a form of a daily diary which is written so parents can share information too in a two way communication. For every 2 year old in my care I do a progress report which I share with the parents and also produce a copy for their health visitor and play school / nursery.

Back to top